Microsoft Office is the backbone of different organizations that exist in this world and those who are related to education institutes also need to use Office apps once in their lifetime. Thus, if you have lately purchased your subscription of Microsoft 365 or bought a one-time package of Office 2019, then you may consider the guidelines given in this article.
Please note that these steps apply to all the plans and subscription packages that are a variant of Microsoft 365 or Office 2019.
Tip: when you buy your Microsoft Office package, you are provided with a product key. This license code needs to be redeemed before you can install Microsoft Office on a PC or Mac. To redeem the product key, navigate to www.office.com/setup, and then follow these instructions.
Download, install and activate Office on Windows
You can apply the following guidelines on a device running on the Windows operating system. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Visit office.com/setup and select ‘Sign In’.
- Provide the Office account details in the login portal.
- Use the same account in which you’ve linked the product key.
- Select the ‘Install Office’ option from the home page of your account.
- To continue, select ‘Install Office’ again.
- Make sure you are installing the correct version i.e. 32 or 64 bit.
- Once the download finishes, it is time now to install it.
- Select Run, Setup, or Save File based on the browser of your device.
- On the User Account Control dialog box, select ‘Yes’ to allow Office to make changes.
- Select ‘Close’ when you see the installation confirmation.
- To activate Office, open an Office app like Word/Excel.
- When the app opens, accept the license agreement.
Download, install and activate Office on Mac
The instructions given below can be applied to a device that is running on a Mac operating system. However, you may find some similarities in the steps with the previous procedure, but they are not alike. The steps to install Microsoft Office on Mac are as follows:
- Visit the office.com/setup portal and click ‘Sign In’.
- Then, enter the account login details to open your Microsoft account.
- Ensure that this account is the same you used to redeem the activation code.
- If you have forgotten your account login details, then try to reset it.
- From the main screen of Office, select the option reading as ‘Install Office’.
- Select ‘Office 365 apps’ to initiate the downloading process.
- Follow the instructions and begin the installation.
- Open the ‘Finder’ of your device and then go to the ‘Downloads’ folder.
- Double-tap on the Office installer.pkg file and select ‘Continue’ to initiate the installation.
- Select ‘Continue’ on the license agreement page.
- Click on the ‘Agree’ option after reading through the terms of the software page.
- Choose the installation type and select ‘Continue’.
- If prompted, enter Mac admin login details and click ‘Install’.
- Use the Dock to open one of the Microsoft Office apps.
- Click on the app icon and select ‘Get Started’ on the ‘What’s New’ window.
To avoid any errors during the installation of Office, you need to ensure the product’s compatibility with your device. Also, it makes a lot of difference if you install the 32-bit package on a 64-bit supported device and vice versa. Thus, going through the pre-requisites is one of the essential considerations you need to make before you initiate the installation.