You receive a Word document and what you see is that it is in ‘Read-Only’ format and you are unable to edit it. This is done by the sender in an attempt to restrict the receiver from unauthorized editing of the document. However, you can easily decrypt it in order to access it completely. The ‘Protected View’ is a mode in which nobody is allowed to edit it.
Sometimes, the received document may have an option at the top of it. This option which is reading as ‘Enable Editing’ allows you to edit them immediately. When a user clicks on this option, he can easily edit it. But, sometimes, you may not see this option. In this scenario, you need to decrypt it or unprotect it. So, in this article, we are going to learn about how to unprotect a word document 2010 and 2016.
Steps to unprotect a Word document 2010 in Windows
If you wish to open all your documents in full editing mode in Word 2010, then you may follow the steps given below:
- To initiate the process, you need to launch the Word document which you wish to unprotect.
- After this, click on its ‘File’ tab present at the upper-left corner of the doc.
- After this, choose the ‘Options’ option.
- Next up, click on the ‘Trust Center’ option present in the left pane.
- After this, you need to select ‘Trust Center settings’.
- Now, its time to select the ‘Protected View’ option.
- Here you will see three options against which tick-marks are present.
- Uncheck all these options to unprotect the document.
- When you are done, click on the ‘OK’ button.
If you know the password to decrypt the document, it is the same as encrypting it. However, the process to decrypt it is quite different. Next up, we will discuss the process to unprotect a Word 2016 document.
Read Also: How to digitally sign a word document?
How to unprotect a word document 2016 in Windows?
To decrypt a Word document, follow the easy steps given below:
- The first thing you need to do is open the Word doc you wish to decrypt.
- After that, you need to enter the correct password you received for decrypting it.
- Now, go to the ‘File’ tab present at the top-left corner.
- After this, click on the ‘Info’ option.
- Then, select the ‘Protect Document’ option.
- This will be followed by ‘Encrypt with Password’.
- Next, leave the password blank empty and hit ‘Ok’.
- Open the same document again and you won’t be asked to enter the password.
Steps to decrypt a document in Word 2016 on Mac
- Open your Word document on Mac.
- After this, click on the ‘Review’ option.
- Click on the ‘Protect Document’ option.
- Further, go to the ‘Security’ tab.
- Here, select and clear the ‘Password to open’ field.
- Do the same with the ‘Password to Modify’ option.
- Save the settings you have made.
Steps to unprotect a document in Word 2010 on Mac
- First, you need to open the document you wish to decrypt.
- Now, move to the Word menu.
- Further, select the ‘Preferences’ option.
- Select the ‘security’ button present under ‘Personal Settings’.
- Here, you need to delete the content present in the ‘password to open’ field.
- Do the same with the ‘Password to modify’ box.
After making all the settings, you should not forget to save the settings. If you do not save the settings you have made, you will lose them and need to repeat the whole process again.